Tuesday, September 15, 2009


Larry, my brother is here for 10 days and it has been a wonderful boost for Mom.  She is eating again! Not much but she is eating.  This is very good news. The first few days she did not keep up with her naps and gradually it caught up with her and by Sunday she got very loopy.  She was talking much more Dutch and making no sense. But yesterday which was Monday, she got plenty of rest and she was back to 'her normal".

It will be very interesting to see how she does once Larry leaves.  I am not sure if she is eating because she is hungry or because the social enviroment is more stimulating.  How much of her not eating is linked to depression rather than her disease?  It is normal for her to rebound and degress so I will just hang on for the ride. 

We have enjoyed  the extended family making extra efforts to spend time with mom and taking such sweet pictures. Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren reminding her and me of the great heritage she will leave behind.  Our family is very blessed and it is because of Mom and Dad's faithfulness to serving God.  Their prayers for this family has impacted generations. We forget that not every family has the blessings of loving relationships and total support for oneanother.  The sweet notes I receive from my girls and neices.  my goodness, it is the wind beneath my wings.

As the social worker from Hospice was leaving last week, she looked at me with such sencerity and said,
"It's very unusual to see a family with such a large support system".  We had a meeting to give us the opportunity to ask questions about 'anything'.  Larry(my Bro), Sylvia (sister), Rachelle (my daughter) and Jenny (my daughter) plus myself were present. Shell was so sweet to distract her Grandma in the other room with Molly (my granddaughter) while we talked with Angela. Larry asked some very important questions and some of us got pretty teary.

That particular day I would have perdicted my mother was winding down her life journey.  Not eating, drinking very little water, incontinent, sleeping much more than awake.  Today...I don't know, she is doing so well.  She is sleeping quite a bit but just having her eat and seeing her joy and love abounding from her soul, for not only her family & friends but her Lord and Savior, I would perdict many more months. It's all an unknown.

One of her favorite activities right now is watching videos of the Gaithers.  Old fashioned Southern Gospel.
She claps along and raises her arms in praise and worship.  Many times she is overcome with emotion and will cry.  I let her experience her private time with God.  I am falling in love with this music because of the effect it is having on my precious mother.  Grateful for a wonderful outlet and hope it brings.

I am doing okay.  My sleep is getting better. For a while I was waking up many times a night to check on her after last weeks episodes.  We have put the heavier blockade up and it's working great.  Poor Larry had mom give him a surprise visit in the middle of the night one of the first nights he was here.  I tell you, it's very disturbing to be awakened by someone who is totally confused.  I don't think he was able to sleep the rest of the night.  Now he is very diligent to make sure the pathway to his room is secured.  It sounds so harsh to Block the hallway, but just like a child...limits are comforting and guide her gently back to her bed.

Hug your loved ones, appreciate good health!

No comments: