Saturday, July 18, 2009

Laughter is the best Medicine

Saturday Morning:

Oh, boy...Mom got lost in the hallway last night. We have made the hallway shorter by placing little tables with silk plants on them to guide her to her room, yet during the night she squeezed around one and ended up in a guest room. I found her this morning trying to figure out how to get to her room. "Mom, here I am." "Oh, I can't find my bed, I've been going in circles for 10 minutes." I gently led her around the table and brought her to her bed. "Here it is." I explained how the tables were there to help her and she said "I found a bed and there was no one in it so I thought, well, this will do." We had a good laugh about it and I encouraged her to go back to bed a while and she did.

Mom and I have had some real funny moments this past week. We were in the grocery store and she insisted on paying for the groceries. It is so important for her to do that, I mean, actually go through the process of figuring out the cash amount and getting the change. I stand back and watch. The checkers are always patient and kind. The people behind her too. They know how she needs to feel independent too. So after all that, we were collecting both our groceries together in the cart and I looked at her proud smile and said. "Mom, who am I?"
She looked at me a good few seconds and she said "You are.....YOU!" "Good answer!" Oh we laughed and laughed.

Michael and I had the opportunity to take a break and go out to dinner to celebrate his birthday and our 34 year Anniversary this week. We went with some dear friends to a very nice place on the shore. We had such a good time. Afterwards we thought it would be fun to walk on the sand.
The sun had just set and it was that 'magic moment' for some pictures. Well, I gave my friend my new cellphone which has a camera in it and we had a heck of time figuring it out. This phone has a touch screen and so it's tricky. We laughed and laughed as I was telling him to touch, touch and press the button. The camera had a mind of its own and randomly took the pictures. Oh...laughter is so good for the soul! I included one of those pictures.





I am very thankful for the time we can get away and I so appreciate the people who step in and give us a break. Last night the ocean drew us again and Michael and I walked the shore with the high tide almost pushing us against the cliffs. Very scary and adventurous at the same time. We sat on the dry sand later and watch the sunset again glimmer on the aqua blue shore.
God sure has a way of giving us gifts with the beauty of nature. The color of the water was spectacular. Breathing deep and enjoying the time together.

We got home and Mom was still awake and so happy to see us. We walked Betty out and Mom was asleep in 30 minutes. We have the routine down pretty good now. Her bedtime prayers are always a sweet dessert for my soul. She always asks forgiveness for all her sins and thanks the Lord for her Salvation.

She has not had any delusions for the past 4 days. The doctor agreed to cut her meds in half.
We may get her completely off one med next week! After two perfect days of no tears, or fears, she did have a rough couple of hours yesterday before we left on our date. I just led her to her room and encouraged her to take a nap. She said she was sooooo tired. She slept till I woke her when Betty came. Than I told her Betty was here and she said, "Oh, the babysitter is here." She was not happy....she started her shakes and was in a type of daze. Betty came in and was comforting her and I got ready to go. As we were leaving, Betty was helping her lay back down and I said.."The best cure for the shakes is a good walk"...we started her on a walk and I said my goodbyes. She seemed to accept the whole situation and we left. We have learned that the walking settles her down perfectly. It was the first episode of the shakes for about a week.

I am learning new things everyday, and I am coping very well. Thank you all for your support and prayers. I feel them!

This video (although shakey) was taken earlier in the week. I had her tape a little message for my brother Larry who is overseas teaching English. She misses him very much.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Im glad you and dad get to have a few date nights! I'm sorry grandma doesn't know who you are sometimes. But she is right in saying, "you are ... you!"